Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak. Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak :positive. Chicken-fried or country-fried steak is enjoyed everywhere in the U. S., but especially in the Southern and Southwestern states.
Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Country-fried steak, sometimes called smothered steak, is simply dredged through the flour and fried on both sides. You can have Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak
- It’s of Meat.
- You need 1 lb of cubed steak.
- Prepare 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 2 tsp of soul seasoning.
- You need 2 tsp of seasoned salt.
- It’s 2 tsp of Black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of onion powder.
- It’s 1 dash of cayenne pepper.
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil, extra virgin.
- Prepare of White Country Gravy.
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 2 tsp of course black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 of left over oil from steaks.
- You need 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
At this point, many cooks remove the steaks from the pan, prepare a brown gravy from the pan drippings, put the steaks back in with the gravy, cover the pan and let it all simmer. This Chicken Fried Steak And Gravy is smothered in pan gravy and is the epitome of Southern comfort food. Depending on the region of the South you're from you may have heard it called country fried steak. It starts with tenderized thin cut sirloin steak that the butcher has run through an electric tenderizer which tenderizes the steak and transforms it into Cube steak.
Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak instructions
- Season steak evenly on both sides, then coat with flour evenly (for thicker breading, drizzle with 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon soy sauce mixture then flour again)..
- Pour Olive oil into pan, approx 1/4 inch deep. Fry (350°) each side until golden brown. Remove steaks from oil and place in covered side dish..
- To make gravy: Pour out all but half of the remaining oil after frying, keeping all small pieces of the steak that fell off into the pan while turning and flipping. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour, whisking until smooth. Add 1/2 – 1 cup milk and whisk until desirable consistency is achieved..
- Pour gravy into side dish and place steaks back into pan (preferably oven proof), pour half of gravy back into steaks in pan then add 1 medium sliced onion on top. Bake in oven for 20 minutes..
- Remove from oven drizzle with remaining gravy, plate up and enjoy!.
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy. No doubt, one of the ultimate comfort foods is chicken fried steak with country gravy. This homemade chicken fried steak is fried to perfection, crispy and crunchy, and then is smothered in a white, creamy, country gravy served with the best mashed potatoes and delicious whole kernel, buttery corn, for a perfect Southern style meal. Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic.